Welcome to Middle Tennessee Locally Grown’s Recipe Section. We’d love to have your comments if you try some of our recipes. Our members and growers are encouraged to contribute to this section. We love to share recipes using our farm fresh products!
Back to Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings
Roasted Pumpkin Soup with Sage Cream
Source: From Cooking from the farmers’ market (Entered by ManagerLinda Reed)
This recipe uses pumpkin available on our market right now.
Serves: Makes 6-8 servings
Step by Step Instructions
- Cut the pumpkin into 2 inch chunks. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add onion, carrot and celery and cook, stirring often, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the ginger and garlic and cook, stirring, about 1 minute.
- Add the pumpkin and broth and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover partially, and simmer until tender, about 25 minutes.
- Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender. Return to the saucepan and season to taste with salt and pepper. Reheat over medium-low heat.
- Ladle into bowls, drizzle the sage cream on top, and serve right away.
- To make the Sage Cream: 12 sage leaves with stems intact, coarsely chopped; 1/2 cup heavy cream. Combine the sage and cream in a small saucepan, Place over medium heat and cook until small bubbles appear along the edges of the pan. Remove from the heat, cover, and let stand for 20 minutes to let the flavors develop.. Strain the sage pieces out of the cream and use right away.
Comments added by fellow market members.